Thursday, October 4, 2012

Review: Rock of Ages

Yes it may be a little late but I still present my review for Rock of Ages. Will it be better than the live broadway musical or will it be on par with that?





Here’s the official synopsis:

“Rock of Ages” tells the story of small town girl Sherrie and city boy Drew, who meet on the Sunset Strip while pursuing their Hollywood dreams. Their rock ‘n’ roll romance is told through the heart-pounding hits of Def Leppard, Joan Jett, Journey, Foreigner, Bon Jovi, Night Ranger, REO Speedwagon, Pat Benatar, Twisted Sister, Poison, Whitesnake, and more.

Story:
It's the typical romantic comedy story with some added flairs thrown in, it's basically every rom-com released by hollywood but this time it's in a style of rock musical. I loved the aspect of it being a musical because there is not too many films that I've seen that is a rom-com but also a musical. I haven't seen the broadway musical so it's impossible to say if it is a faithful adaptation or not.

Acting:
Two words, Tom Cruise. When I first heard that Cruise will be playing a rockstar, I honestly did not like the idea of it, but as I saw this film, wow what a magnificent performance from him and I can't believe that it was his voice I'm hearing. He is very unpredictable. All the other cast was also good but I had an issue with Julianne Hough's voice as sometimes it came off as irritating.

Music:
Even though the music was also taken from the musical, it was still pretty good, and the singin voice of the cast was a good enough fit.

Cinematography:
Surprisingly good, it captured the essence and spirit of the 80's rock era. Some shots was amazing especially the ones in the musical debate between the rock enthusiast and the protestants (We Built This City on Rock 'n' Roll/ We're Not Gonna Take It), I also loved Cruise's solo "Wanted: Dead or Alive".

Direction:
Adam Shankman's direction was good enough. Not much to share about that.

Overall:
A fun-filled movie that gives the cast the entirety to have fun. Tom Cruise gave a shocking performance and the rest of the cast was good as well. 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment