Sunday, September 23, 2012

Review: Dredd


I haven't seen the original Judge Dredd film so it would be impossible for me to say which movie is better, but here I am to tell if the movie was dreadful or was it awesome.


Synopsis:

The future America is an irradiated waste land. On its East Coast, running from Boston to Washington DC, lies Mega City One- a vast, violent metropolis where criminals rule the chaotic streets. The only force of order lies with the urban cops called "Judges" who possess the combined powers of judge, jury and instant executioner. Known and feared throughout the city, Dredd (Karl Urban) is the ultimate Judge, challenged with ridding the city of its latest scourge - a dangerous drug epidemic that has users of "Slo-Mo" experiencing reality at a fraction of its normal speed. -- (C) Lionsgate

Review:
Story:
The story is not much to scream about as it's basically a 'Die Hard' meets 'The Raid: Redemption' meets the sci-fi genre. With that formula, it is full of fun and excitement. I was neither bored nor dragged as it pumped my blood from beginning to end. I haven't picked up a 'Judge Dredd' comic my entire life but I feel like this is a very faithful adaptation of the comic book series.

Action:
The action was insane, I was at the edge of my seat whenever an action scene appears. While it did not show too much hand-to-hand combat, it makes up for it's awesome gunfights.

Violence:
Very violent especially for a comic book film. But the violence was dialed up even more when a slo-mo scene occurs. This is definitely not for the squeamish. I'm just pissed off at my theater for cutting  some of it up.

Acting:
The acting was awesome in this movie. Lena Headey (Ma-Ma) was a convincing villain but was forgettable as her character was not fully explored. Olivia Thirlby (Judge Anderson) puts on a good performance as a rookie judge and she knows how to do action. Lastly, Karl Urban (Judge Dredd) was insanely awesome as it was like Judge Dredd was based from him, he knows the action, his voice was just perfect and he puts on a memorable performance. The chemistry between Urban and Thirlby was really good as it showed that you will care for their character.

Sound:
The sound is good, and it really fits the movie.

Visual FX:
The VFX was really good and it added more depth to the violence in this film.

Cinematography:
This is one of this films best aspects because the environment was really natural and it didn't feel forced. I especially love the cinematography whenever the slo-mo drug is in effect f*cking insane.

Direction:
The 'Vantage Point' director, Pete Travis showed one of his best works period.

Overall:

Overall:
While it was comparable with 'The Raid' as it almost have the same formula, I can tell you that this movie is still one of best I've seen this year. The action/violence was insanely awesome, the effects were eye popping and the acting was really good. This is one of the best R-rated comic book films ever. It was a complete surprise for me. So to sum it up, it was dark, gritty and ultra-violent. My final judgment is 4/5.


P.S.:
Warner Bros., please call Karl Urban as we may be looking at our new Dark Knight hehe.

1 comment: