Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Review: Behind the Candelabra

Steven Soderberg is one talented director but sometimes he's a hit and miss for me (but still, more of a hit). Will his latest film still have his magic? Read on below.



Synopsis:
Before Elvis, before Elton John, Madonna and Lady Gaga, there was Liberace: virtuoso pianist, outrageous entertainer and flamboyant star of stage and television. A name synonymous with showmanship, extravagance and candelabras, he was a world-renowned performer with a flair that endeared him to his audiences and created a loyal fan base spanning his 40-year career. Liberace lived lavishly and embraced a lifestyle of excess both on and off stage. In summer 1977, handsome young stranger Scott Thorson walked into his dressing room and, despite their age difference and seemingly different worlds, the two embarked on a secretive five-year love affair. BEHIND THE CANDELABRA takes a behind-the-scenes look at their tempestuous relationship - from their first meeting backstage at the Las Vegas Hilton to their bitter and public break-up. 

Story:
The movie follows the romance of Liberace and Scott Thorson. I know nothing about these two but upon watching the movie, it felt like I got a front row seat to see their relation ship unfold. The story was wonderfully told, it was very focused and was handled very well. It didn't strayed away from what it was trying to tell and most of all it was very entertaining from the first act up to the last act of the movie, there was no moment where I felt that the scene was dull. This movie completely showcased the obsessive nature of Liberace when it comes to his lover but also his love towards his partner and it also showed the undeniable love of Thorson towards Liberace.

Acting:
It was simply magnificent, everybody involved in this project did a wonderful job in their performances but what really stood out here for me is the lead roles which were played by Matt Damon and Michael Douglas. But before I go on to the performances of the leads, I would like to say that Rob Lowe did such an amazing job here. He was simply fantastic.

Now, onto the leads, first off let's have Matt Damon, he delivers in this role, from the way he delivers his lines and the way he showed his affection to Douglas' character was good. Now let's have the other lead role which was Michael Douglas as Liberace, he was magnificent in this role, I know almost nothing about Liberace but after watching this movie I watched some videos of Liberace, and my God, Michael Douglas nailed it! From the voice up to the mannerism and his looks, and dare I say it, Michael Douglas was Liberace.

What I also liked in this movie is the presence of character development, sure it was about Thorson and Liberace but they showed how the other characters were presented and developed. Lastly, the romance played in this movie between Damon and Douglas was much more believable than what you can watch from Rom-Com these days. Both of them really did a magnificent job. I wish Michael Douglas would get nominated for Best Actor come awards season.

Music:
I loved the music in this film, it was hypnotizing and awe-inspiring. The way you can hear the piano play just makes me want to learn to play it. Too bad I don't have a piano.

Cinematography:
It really captured the 'feel' and the look of the late 70s. In addition, the wonderful costumes did a great job in adding an effect to the era they are going for. What I also liked in this aspect is that it didn't show too much and too less of what can be said as an inappropriate scene, I still cringed at this type of scene but in this movie it felt different, it doesn't feel forced or whatsoever.

Direction:
Soderberg handled the first, second and third act of this movie good, there was never a dull or boring moment, it's like every scene counts. But what really got my attention is the way he directed his actors, he was able to let the characters show something we haven't seen before in their acting career which was really something different and unique in it's own way. In my opinion, this is one of his best films ever.

Overall:
'Behind the Candelabra' is one great character study of a film which is mostly because of the spectacular direction, performance, and a focused narrative. 'Candelabra' is surely one biopic that must not be missed. I give this a 5/5

Favorite line:
"I want to be everything to you, Scott. I want to be father, brother, lover, best friend." -Liberace

Favorite exchange of lines:
Liberace: I have an eye for new and refreshing talent.
Scott Thorson: You have an eye for new and refreshing dick.


No comments:

Post a Comment