Thursday, September 19, 2013

"Qweekly" Reviews #5

It's the fifth installment of my weekly movie views (though my posts are inconsistent) and I only managed to watch 6 films the past week and 4 of them will be featured on here. So check it out down below.




Pitch Black (2000, David Twohy)- In anticipation to watch the third installment in this franchise, I actually watched the first one for the first time (and will probably watch the second and third one this week). In all honesty, the first half of this film bored me although it sets up the premise of the movie and showed the types of characters you will see upon watching the movie. In the second half of the movie it completely changed the tone of the movie and it suddenly became this suspenseful sci-fi thriller and I liked that and it helped me to be more immersed in it. It gave out this feeling of isolation and Vin Diesel was simply tailor made for the role. It's a thrilling sci-fi film with a rusty first-half of it.
Grade:









------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------






District 9 (2009, Neill Blomkamp)- After watching Elysium (review just right below this post) I immediately watched this one, I loved it before and I still love it today and I think that it is one of the best sci-fi films ever. Blomkamp was able to show the struggles of our age/era through this genre and to me that is very creative. This film was all about the apartheid and it was showed on it's full extent and without holding back plus it also showed how media and government heads can manipulate our beliefs just so they will get you to believe their side. This is also a great breakout role for Sharlto Copley whom in my opinion is just one of the best working actors today and hope to see him in more projects soon (can't wait to see him in Oldboy).
Grade:



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Pain & Gain (Michael Bay, 2013)- I'm not a fan of Michael Bay and this film still did not make me a fan. I admit that his visual style is good and it was fun to watch it in this movie, the color pops out and the set pieces were really authentic. This film had some good performance in it especially Dwayne Johnson who was in my opinion was perfect for the role, he was this insane crackhead with a penchant of making his life better through religion and he was really good. For Wahlberg and Mackie, they are also good in the role and they showed their dedication in it, it's just the The Rock stole the spotlight for me. That being said though, I think Bay chose the wrong genre for this, it shouldn't be this Crime/Comedy caper that they went for , it's based on a true story and it will make the movie a LOT better if it was a Crime/Drama flick and in that way, the cast will be able to show their range more in acting and it will also show that Bay also has range. Too bad they didn't go this route.
Grade:






------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




Robocop (1987, Paul Verhoeven)- There will be a remake of this movie which is slated to release on February next year, the trailer is already out and to be honest I like what I see, I still have my expectations on hold though. Nevertheless, I watched this one right after watching the trailer for the remake, and you know what, it was still a fun movie to watch. Sure the performances are a bit campy but Peter Weller was great as Robocop, you can actually believe that this guy is a robot, his movement and his voice was simply perfect. What's more to his performance is that you can really feel bad for the character especially during dramatic moments. The violence, the soundtrack, direction and cinematography was also really good, they go in synch with each other and this is just a no holds-barred action film. If you want violence in action, this film definitely delivers. God, I miss Paul Verhoeven.
Grade:







------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Well that's it for this week, tune in for more qweekly reviews next week (or after two weeks). What about you, what have you watched this week? Share it on the comment section or follow me on here. Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment