Saturday, September 7, 2013

"Qweekly" Reviews #4

It's been a while since I posted my last "qweekly" reviews, if you still don't have any idea what a "qweekly" reviews is, it is where I post quick movie reviews, clever huh?? LOL. Well without further ado, here's my two cents on what I have watched this week and the past weeks.




The Iceman (2013, Ariel Vromen)- A supposed powerful film about a serial-killer, unfortunately the end result isn't that. The film focuses more on the ruthless killer side of real-life contract killer Richard Kuklinski instead of focusing on Kuklinski's family-side more which in my opinion could have made the movie a lot better because it will show the conflicts of the character and how it will balance out. There's also a lot of great ideas for the film, too bad it wasn't shown better. The only thing powerful in this film is the performances of the actors and actress. While I still thought the film was good, it's a bit disappointing to me.
Grade:

 
_________________________________________________________________________________


R.I.P.D. (2013, Robert Schwentke)- Schwentke's last outing was a little film called 'RED', that movie was a very entertaining action film and boosted a great performance from the cast. This movie was anything but that, a poor execution of the story with mediocre acting from the cast which was underwhelming because of the talent. The only thing good about this moment was Jeff Bridges who kept the movie alive. As for the cinematography, it had it's moments but at times it looks too video-gamey 'cause of the motion blur and camera work, it was a neat idea but executed poorly. The VFX of the creatures in the movie is also disappointing because of the CGI mess, they should have gone with the prosthetic route which would have made it a lot better. In the end, this film really felt like a MIB rip-off with ghosts.
Grade:
_________________________________________________________________________________


Snitch (2013, Ric Roman Waugh)- This film showcased what is probably one of the best performances of Dwayne Johnson, he was able to channel an emotional side of him which we rarely see of him in movies. That said though, I think this film could have worked more if it was a Crime/Drama film and not an Action/Crime film. This movie is okay, I have no more complaints on this.
Grade:

_________________________________________________________________________________


The Great Gatsby (2013, Baz Luhrmann)- Even from the trailers, it was already fixed in my mind that this going to be a style over substance film and after watching the film, it delivers just that. The movie was beautiful to look at, the colors are just popping on the screen and the camera works were very good especially when a party was being shown. Baz Luhrmann can indeed make a good looking movie but I can't say the same for the story though. The story was missing depth so there's really minimum drama here but thanks to the wonderful performance from the cast, it made for what it was lacking in. I was entertained watching this movie and overall I thought it was pretty good.
Grade:



_________________________________________________________________________________


Now You See Me (2013, Louis Leterrier)- I thought this film was going to suck when I heard about this film, but I was dead wrong. This movie was very entertaining with great VFX that was beautiful to look at. My problem though is it is both stupid and smart. It's stupid because some of the magic acts was just plain ridiculous and merely impossible to do but it also smart because of how the story goes on and how it all connects. What I dislike too is that there's too much twist and turns for the movie which kind of took me out of the movie. This also had some okay to good performance from it but I got to say that Isla Fisher was the weakest link, it's not because she's bad but because her character was not just fully developed.
Grade:
_________________________________________________________________________________

Well that's all I have for this week, I'll post my next qweekly reviews next week or maybe the following week. In the meantime stay alive and thanks for reading! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment