Saturday, August 4, 2012

Pros and Cons: Thor, Green Lantern, X-Men: First Class

I made this review a long time ago and I just though of posting it hehe, well here it goes.

This is my 2 cents on Thor, Green Lantern and X-Men: First Class




I'm gonna start this review with Thor:

 

PROS 
• The actors did an incredible job portraying the characters they played especially Chris Hemsworth and Tom Middleston they just own the role, but I have to say Middleston really stole the spotlight. I also find Idris Elba’s performance good even though he was only around for like 10 minutes. 
• Asgard, three words, beautiful, perfect and stunning. 
• Destroyer looks oh so perfect. His looks gave justice to the ones in the comics. 
• The VFX of the film is just ground breaking and truly beautiful to watch. 
• The costume have some futuristic yet Shakespearian effect to it, which in my opinion is good and it fits perfectly because they are gods. 
• The fight scene with the Frost Giants was for lack of a better word epic. One of the highlights of the film IMO. 
• Hawkeye’s cameo was so good. I can’t wait to see Renner as Hawkeye in the upcoming film The Avengers. 
• The comedic elements were good and funny. 
• It’s easter eggs was one of the best moments in the film ‘cause it gives good reference as to what may occur in the possible sequels and for The Avengers. 

CONS 
• The Warriors Three and Sif in my opinion were underused because I felt something lacking with their character. 
• Natalie Portman and Thor’s love chemistry, it was just plain bad IMO. 
• I honestly felt like it was rushed because I think some scenes should’ve been more emphasized. 
• The fight scenes. Yes the fight scene with Frost Giants was cool (and epic) but the next fight scenes were just plain bad. 
• The transition of Thor from arrogant to a humble person. I mean he just suddenly changed from a demanding person (or god) then changed into this very good person. 

OVERALL: 
Even though I think that Thor is a little bit overrated, there’s no denying that it’s one hell of an entertaining film. The performance was good, the set is astonishing, the effects were jaw-dropping but the story was a little poor. It gets a solid B from me. 

Next one is Green Lantern 

 

PROS 
• Ryan Reynolds was good as Hal Jordan when he’s cocky but...(continued in CONS) 
• Three words, Mark [frick]in Strong, he was born to play Sinestro. He is the shiznit in this film, his accent fits Sinestro and listening to his voice was just pure epicness. Whenever he’s onscreen I always pay attention. 
• Geoffrey Rush, Michael Clarke-Duncan and Clancy Brown were perfectly cast as Tomar-Re, Kilowog and Parallax. 
• The organic costumes/suits were a perfect translation of their costumes from the comic books. 
• Oa just looks so perfect. One of the highlights of the film but...(continued in CONS) 
• The guardians look perfect. I just love their robes haha. 

CONS 
• (Continuation from PROS).. when he’s throwing around jokes every five seconds, he reminds me of Kyle Rayner much more than Hal Jordan. 
• (continuation from PROS).. the scenes in Oa was very short. 
• The characterization of the other characters was plain bad. It feels like this movie is just tailored to like Hal Jordan. 
• Sinestro’s transition to the “fear”. IMO the weakest part in the film because it was not explained as to why he wore the ring, it was like “Okay I’ll wear it ‘cause it looks cool”. 
• The parallax’s big feces hanging on earth. The face and ‘cloud’ already looks good and they ruined it with the big turd. 
• Blake Lively’s performance was not good; it felt like she was just reading her lines. 

OVERALL: 
‘Green Lantern’ may not have seen or shed the brightest light in comic book films but I still think it’s a good movie and it’s not as bad as others make it out to be. Even though there are a lot of flaws, it is still visually dazzling and somehow entertaining. I give this B-. 


Lastly, here’s my review for X-Men: First Class 

 

PROS: 
• Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy was a perfect chemistry. Their performance as Erik and Charles was one of the best I’ve seen. Their relationship was related to reality because even though they are the best of friends they have different insights regarding mutants. 
• Action scenes was pure awesomeness especially the ones involving Magneto and Azazel. 
• At first I had doubts with Kevin Bacon as Sebastian Shaw but as I watch this I can’t get my eyes off of him because he just showcased very good acting. He fits perfectly IMO. 
• Wolverine’s cameo, hands down one of the best cameos in CBM history. 
• The VFX was very good, it looked so realistic and I loved it especially the ones with Sebastian Shaw and Magneto. 
• The yellow and blue suit was a perfect translation of the costume that we saw in the comics. 
• The score perfectly fits the movie and it is so melodramatic. 
• It really felt the 60’s atmosphere. The production, the sets and wardrobe of the characters was wonderful and eye-catching. 
• The addition of the Cuba Missile crises definitely added spice to the movie. 
• The way Charles became paraplegic. I gotta admit I felt really bad for Erik being the one responsible for Charles “losing” his legs but I felt so much pity to what happened to Charles. 
• Pretty violent for a PG-13 film. 
• How Sebastian Shaw died was one of the best moments in the film, I actually felt the pain. 

CONS: 
• Darwin’s death. IMO he has the potential to be a great character but unfortunately he got killed. I got disappointed when he got killed because I’m starting to like the guy. 
• Azazel and Riptide should’ve gotten more lines because they just looked like the usual henchman “kill this kill that” type. 
• Some characters felt like fillers like Havok and Angel because they lack certain characterization and I just got somewhat irritated. 
• Beast’s makeup was not that good; I liked the look of Beast more in X3: The Last Stand. 
• Magneto’s final costume. Yes his helmet was [frick]in awesome and epic but his suit was so bad, he looks so ridiculous. I hope they work on that if they ever make a sequel. 

OVERALL: 
Dramatic and well thought-out. Thrilling, amazing and highly provocative. The performance from the lead actor and villain was so amazing and captivating. This in my opinion is the best film in the franchise and so far the best comic book movie this year. It sets the bar for CBMS this year. After watching this, I immediately watched it again the next morning, and I rarely do that, very rarely. It gets an A- from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment