Tuesday, July 24, 2012

My top villains in cinema history

What is a hero without a villain? The villain is one of the most important aspects of a story, here is my list of my top villains in cinema history (not in order):




TOMMY DEVITO, GOODFELLAS (1990)

Joe Pesci delivered one of the most memorable performances on screen. The scene where he is mistaken as a joker was one of the most scary threats I've ever seen, I'd sh*t my pants if that happened to me!

LORD VOLDEMORT, THE HARRY POTTER MOVIES (2005--11)

Ahh, Ralph Fiennes our go-to-bad guy but never fails to display an exemplary performance. His accent as "the man who can't be named" is just perfect.

HANS LANDA, INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS (2009)

The first time I saw this guy act, I thought he was just another actor who can act average at it's best, but wow I'm glad I was wrong! Every scene he's in was threatening, he killed that role, in a good way though.

NURSE RATCHED, ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST (1975)

You will know that an actor's performance is good is when he/she gets through your skin and that's exactly what she did, she drove me crazy the entire film to the point that I just want to kill her character. That is what I call a performance of a lifetime.

ANTON CHIGURH, NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN (2007)

Great performance from Javier Bardem and that haircut just adds an extra creepiness to the character.

ALEX FORREST, FATAL ATTRACTION (1987)
Two words, crazy b*tch!

MAX CADY, CAPE FEAR (1991)

This in my opinion is De Niro's finest performance yet. He channels what a psychopath would  really behave. Upon watching this film, I honestly got scared because if his character. An Oscar-worthy performance.

HANS GRUBER, DIE HARD (1988)

Alan Rickman never fails to make me smile, whether he'll be a good guy or a bad guy. He made Bruce Willis have a hard time in Die Hard.

BILL THE BUTCHER, GANGS OF NEW YORK (2004)

There is only two method actors that I really love to see perform, the first is of course Daniel Day-Lewis. His performance in this film was just astounding, no words can express how good he was.

PATRICK BATEMAN, AMERICAN PSYCHO (2000)

The second method actor who always astonishes me is Christian Bale. He showed a performance that is more terrifying than those horror icons from the 80's and 90's.

GUNNERY SERGEANT HARTMAN, FULL METAL JACKET (1987)

R. Lee Erney's performance was almost traumatic and felt really natural. Why? It's because in real life he really did become a drill sergeant and most of his lines are ad-libed.

GENERAL ZOD, SUPERMAN II (1980)

Terrence Stamp was just phenomenal. 'Nuff said.

HANNIBAL LECTER, THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS (1991)

Even only appearing at 5-10 minutes on the film, Hopkins still won the best actor award in the oscars, that's shows how good he really was in this.

DARTH VADER, STAR WARS (1977)

That hiss, spine tingling. Simply one of the best villains ever.

THE JOKER, THE DARK KNIGHT (2008)

Heath Ledger's performance was spot-on, too bad he met his early demise. Despite that event he won a posthumous academy award for best supporting actor. A well-earned award for such an amazing performance.

BANE, THE DARK KNIGHT RISES (2012)

I'm a sucker for comic books and I want to add this guy, Bane. Not the Batman and Robin stupid henchman version but the strategic and skilled fighter in The Dark Knight Rises. Tom Hardy delivers an unforgettable performance as the man *SPOILER* who broke the Bat *SPOILER*.

No comments:

Post a Comment