Sunday, October 13, 2013

Review: The Grandmaster

I'm not the biggest fan of foreign films but whenever I watch one I always get engaged in it. Upon watching the trailer for Wong Kar Wai's The Grandmaster, I was immediately hooked on it and thought that I need to watch it ASAP. I was finally able to watch the film, so was it good or was it disappointing? Find out my thoughts below.



Synopsis:
Directed by acclaimed filmmaker Wong Kar Wai, THE GRANDMASTER is an epic action feature inspired by the life and times of the legendary kung fu master, Ip Man. The story spans the tumultuous Republican era that followed the fall of China's last dynasty, a time of chaos, division and war that was also the golden age of Chinese martial arts. Filmed in a range of stunning locations that include the snow-swept landscapes of Northeast China and the subtropical South, THE GRANDMASTER features virtuoso performances by some of the greatest stars of contemporary Asian cinema, including Tony Leung and Ziyi Zhang.(c) Weinstein

Story:
So this is probably the nth biopic about Bruce Lee's master, Ip Man. What I liked most about the story in this movie is that it gave time for other characters to be introduced and it helped the audience to have a deeper connection with them and also it helped to have investment with these characters, this in my opinion is what the other Ip Man films failed to do because in those other films, you will only care for the lead character and have little to no care about the other characters. This in my opinion is the strongest point of the movie.

As for my problem with it, the story failed to be engaging, yes you will feel the characters, their motives and whatnot but it was not successful to tell a gripping story. Why? Maybe because we've seen this story before or perhaps this movie focused more on the characters and the action in this movie. If anything, this movie is more a character-driven film because like I said, you can feel their pain and their motives. My another problem with the story is that there was no balance in it, it just jumps from one scene to another which made it feel that there was no resonance in it.

Performance:
I got used to Donnie Yen playing the character of Ip Man but this movie has new direction so obviously we will have a different actor to play the lead role. Tony Leung played Ip Man in this one and in my opinion he was also good, even from his look he captured the somewhat innocent look of Ip Man and as for his acting, it was also pretty good because he was able to show the calm nature of the character but when shit goes down, he basically transformed into another person which I really liked because it showed that there is some division with this character.

Next is Zhang Ziyi, I just love this actress and in this movie she was really good. You can feel her emotions and you will really empathize with the character. It's like you're witnessing this in front of you. I was really invested with this character and I'm happy to say that she wasn't wasted because every time she appears on screen, she just nails it.

Last is Jin Zhang who played Ma San, this character was basically the villain in this movie and his presence delivers just that. Like the previous actors, I thought he was also good in the role. He was able to show the goal of the character and was able to show how corrupt the character can be and you can see it just by looking at the character's eyes. As for the rest of the actors, they were good enough with the material given.

Action:
The action scenes in this movie was simply phenomenal, it kept me on the edge of my seat but most of all it helped the movie to not feel dull and boring. Whenever an action sequence occurs, the film just goes into overdrive and you can't help but feel hyped during this moment. Having said that though, I still have one minor problem with it and that is sometimes it's over the top. I know that when it comes to martial arts film that over-the-top action scenes always happen but in this one it just felt different because it was a biopic and it centers more on fact rather than fiction. Other than that, I loved the action scenes. I thought the choreography was very good and you can really feel the bones crushing in this movie and every pound the character is taking.

Cinematography:
There was a lot of moments in this movie that is just visually stunning. Even in the opening of the movie, the shots were great and captured the action scene pretty well. And as a fan of slo-mo, seeing that come into play in a martial arts film was just glorious to look at and you can really see these actors do these moves. I also liked how just through the look of this movie it was able to show and it will allow the viewer to feel the timeline of the movie and it really looked authentic.

While I love those aspects of the cinematography, there was one aspect of it that was really irritating and quite bothersome and that is there are just too many close-up shots in this movie. A lot of them felt "in your face" but as time goes on you can get used to it.

Direction:
I have no problems on how Wong Kar Wai directed his actors and the camera works. However I do have a problem on how he edited the movie and how he told the story. Like I said, the film was weirdly edited which looked like the scenes weren't resonating and it made the film just jump from one scene to another and this in effect took a toll on the story-telling aspect of the movie. There were moments where I felt a bit confused as to what was happening (but I was able to catch up on it later on) another effect of it is the pacing of this movie, it was a slow burner, honestly as much as I hate to say this I was bored with it. The only thing that helped me to keep going for it is the performance of the actors, the camera works and the amazing action scenes which in my opinion Wong Kar Wai directed wonderfully.

Overall:
So to answer my question from above, it was both good and disappointing. It was good because you were still able to learn more of the character and his background, disappointing too because this movie has a lot of potential to be great but the final result isn't that. This biopic has a slow-burning narrative that might get boring but manages kicks up the ante with it's amazing action scenes and beautiful shots. To me this movie is more style rather than substance.

Grade:

Favorite lines:
Gong Er: My father would always say, people who practice martial arts go through three stages: seeing 
yourself, seeing the world, seeing all living beings.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gong Er: Remember when I told you that there is nothing to regret in life? It's all bullshit. If life had no 
regrets it would be really boring.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ip Man: Kung fu is actually a delicate art. Should anything be broken, I will concede victory.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment