Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Review: The Last Stand

It's been a while since we last see Arnie headline a movie and seeing him starring in a movie sounds good on paper but is seeing him on the big screen again a delight? Find out below.



Story:
The story is very simple, in fact for me it is one of the most generic story in an 80s action flick. This movie did not have a unique story or even an original idea on how they are going to present it but I'm not saying that they are not told well, actually they did a pretty good job on telling the story but considering that it was very common I was not gripping for me. Now, they handled the story pretty well, they were able to tell what they want to tell and did it in a somehow entertaining way but I wouldn't say that this is the best action movie of the year.

Acting:
Most of the characters here was underdeveloped, some of them did not even make sense and was just there for the sake of being there or for the sake of having an extra character *cough* Rodrigo Santoro *cough*. Going to the performance, only two performance was somewhat unforgettable but first I'm going to state the performance that I somewhat did not like, first is Jamie Alexander, yes she was a pleasure to see onscreen but she lacked the intensity which she brought onto the role of Lady Sif (Thor) and Johnny Knoxville was just wooden as f*ck but I gotta admit he made me laugh at some scenes here. Moving on, the two performances that I liked is of course Arnie's and Luis Guzman. As usual Arnie was a badass to see onscreen and seeing him pull the trigger again in every gun he holds was just a delight to see, Lusi Guzman is an actor who always brings a smile to my face in whatever movie he's in, I think he is flexible actor and can do drama and comedy with the right timing.

Action/Violence:
Do I really need to answer this question? But I have to say this though, it is violent, blood and dismemberment is present.

Cinematography:
I would say that the shots here are pretty solid for an action flick, it adds a different motion to the action scenes and it captures the feel of what an action movie should look like.

Direction:
I was only able to see one of his movies which is 'I Saw The Devil', which remains to be one of my favorite Korean flicks ever. While I loved the pace in that movie, I was not a fan of the pace in this one, when I was watching I felt kind of bored at times and then it suddenly jumps to a high-octane action scene which helps the film as it can help it to be more entertaining.

Overall:
While not being the proper redemption for Schwarzenegger this is a solid action movie full of entertainment, blood and Arnold madness. This film is definitely a dependent on Arnold's presence. I give this movie a 2.5/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment